I really do have every intention of getting back to Day 18 - my problem is sheer laziness.
In the meantime, I wanted to post about a couple of interesting things in the last few days. First interesting thing: I got to rescue a poor little doggy on Saturday night! I was driving home from the store, it was dark, and threatening to rain for real. Loping along the sidewalk of busy 9400 South, was a big black Lab - all alone. I made a split decision, fueled mainly by the fact that I had pre-decided that if ever I was in a situation like that, I would stop and see if I could help the dog. I pulled over in front of him and called him over to me. I tried to entice him with some dried lamb I had in my purse for the dogs, but he wouldn't even touch it. He did come to me though, and he hopped into the back seat of my car with very little encouragement. I checked his tag, and it identified him as Lewey, and listed 2 different phone numbers (this is just like the tag I recently got for Jack). I called the first number, said "hi....um...I have your dog..." to the guy who answered and he met me 5 minutes later to pick up big ol' Lewey. He said they just moved in, so he wasn't sure yet how he had gotten out. Lewey seemed very tired, and very sweet. I still wish I could have taken him home with me.
Second interesting thing: after all these adult years of mine, I finally learned that I CAN donate blood, even with the cocktail of medications I take every day. There are some drugs that are not allowed, but mine are. Another thing I've always worried about is the fact that I have been diagnosed with anemia, and have only taken iron supplements sporadically at best over the last 15 years or so. Turns out the multi-vitamin I've been taking lately must have done it...or maybe there isn't a problem anymore after all - anyway, my iron was high enough to donate. Last test, except blood pressure (and weight, if they were actually going to dare to weigh me to make sure I'm not underweight), was for temperature. I failed! I had a fever of 100.3. I couldn't donate after all because I could have some kind of bug in my system. An understandable policy for sure, but the fever was strange because I am notoriously normal in temperature, even when I'm sick. It's very rare for me to develop a fever, and I felt the same way I always do. Too bad; guess I don't get to find out what blood type I have after all. I'll definitely try again though; they have these blood drives every so often at work. I spent the rest of the day with a headache though, as my brain played tricks on me once it found out I was supposed to be sick.
Lastly, I've actually switched jobs, but I still work in the same desk, for the same boss, and the same company. There was an unexpected shift in the workload, so they didn't end up having a need for so many customer service people as they thought, but they had a much larger need for medical records specialists. I've actually been doing the work since the end of March, but it's now official. It's great, because I like the work a bit better, and I'm no longer chained to a phone. I can take my breaks and lunch when I want, and I can alter my schedule to suit me, without being restrained by the phone hours. So I've changed things up a little, and I now work from 7:00 to 3:30, with a 45 minute lunch. I come home after work and have a nap, which is very nice.
Oh, and have I mentioned my calling at all? It's not all that new, but I don't remember. I'm teaching the 12-13 year-old Sunday School class, and surprisingly enough, I really like it! It makes me think even more that I might like to be a middle/high school teacher when I grow up.
Jack's doing great. He got attacked a couple of weeks ago by another dog, and though he had some battle wounds for a little while, they're gone now, and he seems just fine. He's such a sweetheart. We went for a check up with a new vet, who said that even though we've succeeded in helping him lose a few pounds, we apparently have a little bit more to lose. Different vets say different things - the vets I've seen previously have said that he was okay the way he was, maybe just a tad chubby. I wanted him to lose a little because I thought he would be more comfortable in the heat and when he's running around and stuff if he was leaner. He's down to 69 pounds, and this new vet says that he actually is not a large-framed Golden (I had no idea) - and that he would prefer to see him closer to 63 or so. The vet tech warned me before the vet came in that he likes his dogs thin, but the lifespan of a dog can be dramatically affected by weight, and a thinner dog, if still properly nourished of course, is likely to live a lot longer and have fewer issues with joints and such. So I'm good with helping him to lose a few more pounds. Honestly, a part of me feels like there is NO way I'm going to have a fat dog. I may not be able to discipline myself, but I am certainly not going to let my dog experience the difficulties I have due to my weight.
That's all for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment