Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I gotta get it OUT!

I'm feeling a scream coming on.....I have to give voice to this!

My car got egged last night.  This is the 3rd time my car has been egged, and for those of you who don't know, it is only one of a countless stream of eggings our family has been subjected to since last summer.  Last year, it was almost like clockwork -- every Friday night, at different times every week, and sometimes, if we knew it had happened and went out to clean it off the house right away, we would get it again later on that same night.  The only Fridays on which we didn't get egged, were the ones which were marked by my brother-in-law Matt and/or Daniel and/or my dad hiding out in darkened cars waiting to spring out at the little turds.  Oh yeah, these punks were VERY careful. 

What could we do?  Seriously, EVERY weekend.  They would be thrown at windows, at our cars, on the driveway, wherever they happened to fall.  I can't even begin to say how frustrating it was last year, and I've been grudgingly grateful this summer that it has only happened every FEW weekends.  Daniel swears that he doesn't know anyone who would persist like this; who would think it's just that funny, that it doesn't get old...week..after week.......after week.  I believe him, for the most part.  I don't know who these people are, but they make me so mad; if I caught them, I would absolutely do whatever I could (I'm not talking about beating them or sicking Jack on them or anything....although Jack really wouldn't do much more than lick them) to ensure that they learned just how not funny it is to vandalize other people's property. 

So I got online to see if the way I cleaned egg off my Jeep last year was generally considered to be the best way, and I found this extremely lengthy thread, started by some stupid mom whose son egged someone's car and was being fined for it.  This mom thought it was all hogwash; that egg couldn't really damage the finish of someone's car.  Most of the respondants were loud and clear in their statements about the damage that can be done, but even though the commenters who thought that "kids will be kids" and other nonsense were very few, I just couldn't contain myself. 

Sorry, but I don't buy the "kids will be kids" or "boys will be boys" stuff that people like to throw around.  Yes, some kids will do things like that, but for adults to excuse it, saying that to prosecute, even for extreme damages, is unfair because it will make it difficult for them to get a job or into college, is positively despicable.  I have no problem with being kind, merciful or considerate of circumstances, but I don't think that approach requires an automatic reversal of consequences.  That's how God deals with his children; he will forgive and forgive and forgive as many times as his children repent, but he will not remove the natural consequences of our foolish choices.  Forgiveness does not equal absolution.  That's all, except to say a resounding thank you to Daniel (who doesn't read my blog...) for getting the egg off my car tonight.

No comments: