Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Day 13

A picture of my favorite band or artist would be difficult, in part simply because I don't really have one.  I love art in nearly all its forms, and I love a decent variety of music, but I generally like one piece of art or one song at a time - to bestow such an honor by calling them my favorite when I don't necessarily like all their stuff is something I hesitate to do.  Aren't I a peach?  But seriously, because I base everything on the individual song, it's hard for me to buy a whole album and not hate some of it.  It can be hard to find music that really hits the spot - not necessarily because it's so rare, but because it requires a lot of sifting through stuff I don't like.

Lately, I've been in a classical music phase.  My brain and soul are literally craving peace and relaxation, and so the vocals and overall mood of more modern music just make me cringe.  In the past though, I've always been most enthusiastic about anything in which the chord progression, lyrics and feeling expressed by the artist(s) are somewhat dramatic, even passionate or dark, and interesting (um...just so you know, I use words like passionate in their more classical context and meaning - for me, the word passionate should imply intense, deep emotion, and isn't necessarily sexually-based).  I've found stuff like that in some Michael Buble, Kelly Clarkston, .......and my mind has gone blank on what else.  For instance, if you've heard Michael Buble's song "Cry Me a River", you have a pretty decent example of what I mean. 

Back to the classical though - there's a lot of classical that grates on my nerves as well, but I usually can't go wrong with Chopin's Nocturnes or Schubert.  There are some classical compositions even now though that I still love, even if they aren't always soft and gentle - like Holst's "The Planets" collection.  I really love Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" and Debussy's "Claire de Lune".  My favoriate of Chopin's Nocturnes is always hard to remember, because it's like...Nocturne in E minor, Opus 8 or something like that.....wait, let me see if I can find it in Celeste's piano music to give you the real name....ok, I could have sworn there was an E Minor in there somewhere, but this says Nocturne, Opus 72, Number 1.  Oh wait!  When I look it up online, it does have E Minor in the title.  Have any of you seen the old Hallmark version of "The Secret Garden"?  We used to watch it a lot as kids, and this song is the theme music in that movie.  Here - if you don't know it, check out this link.

Bye.

1 comment:

Celeste said...

I'm the same way about choosing a favorite band or artist. I'll find a song I love and then look up the artist's other work and hate the rest. However, there are a few exceptions--Jack Johnson (I still can't believe you don't like him--he's so mellow) and the Tabernacle Choir. Bye. :)