This one might require a bit of explanation - my dad, on the right; my favorite Bro. Johnson in the middle; our old friend from Germany, Frank Sengewitz, on the left. My dad met Frank and his family while he was on his mission in Germany, and the night this picture was taken was the second time (the first was close to 20 years ago) Frank had come here to visit our family (among other things). Brother Johnson was in the bishopric of the singles ward I went to several years ago, and he got to be a great friend. He went to the same mission as my dad, where he also met Frank, just a year or two later (or was it before?) All of us kids were completely taken with Frank for years after he visited the first time - we had had so much fun. It was really fun to see him again, and this picture brings all the memories back. I'm still a little bitter though that he let Daniel, who was still 15 at the time, drive his rental Hummer around in a parking lot somewhere. I didn't get to try. Hmmph.
A little explanation here as well for those of you who don't know what the above picture is all about. My dad's family lived in New Zealand for a period of about 7 years when he was young. They adopted some aspects of the culture there, and have thankfully kept it alive all this time. This is (from the left) my dad, his brother John, his brother Dave, and my two uncles (married to two of Dad's sisters) Brent and Jim doing the haka at my grandma's 85th (I think) birthday party. I LOVE to see them do this, and I miss seeing my granddad, the most ferocious of them all, in line with them. It makes me sad that the grandsons are all too chicken to do it, making it always seem like each time we get to see it might be the last time.
Hope you enjoyed.










No comments:
Post a Comment