Pages

Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Memories

Today I miss my Grandpa North, who died a few years ago after a heroic battle with heart disease.  I miss him today because it has been a tradition for as long as I can remember for my mom to call him on the morning of Christmas Eve and say 'Happy Christmas Eve Day,' to which he would respond that it's not Christmas Eve until evening!  I never actually took part in this tradition myself, but it feels like I did. 

I also miss him because since he got sick, my sweet grandma hasn't been able to host our traditional Christmas morning brunch for her family.  Several years ago, my grandpa built for the first time an enclosure around their carport before Christmas each year so that we could all sit up to a table to eat, in the enclosure, with heaters keeping us cozy.  We would have breakfast casserole, funeral potatoes, ham, rolls, chips, ebelskivers (little spherical Scandinavian pancake/popover things that Grandpa dusted with powdered sugar - see picture below), chocolate milk, juice, cookies, and whatever else sounded good.  We would exchange gifts, which usually included beef jerky made by Grandpa and candies made by Grandma, play games and laugh a lot.  I always looked forward to it.  I miss it.  I miss my Grandpa, who seems to have been the glue that held that particular tradition together.  I love my Grandma very much, and I hope that this year, she's having a beautiful Christmas in sunny California with my aunt Kay and uncle Marc. 

I wish you all a very merry Christmas, one that will be filled with light and joy and love.