Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Hiking

Well we've gotten to the reservoir again and I finally got some pictures of where we end up at the end of our trail.  I also managed to find a site (click here) that talks about the trail we use, which doesn't seem to be the main trail used to get to the reservoir (a lot of other websites were referencing a trail head that starts on Wasatch instead of past Wasatch on Little Cottonwood Rd (what 9400 S turns into)).  Here are some pictures.  Forgive the blurry ones; my camera can zoom in quite a bit (for instance, to see the ducks) but I can't see what I'm looking at through the viewer thing.  On the day I took these pictures, we also saw a baby deer, a rabbit, and a bunch of colorful birds.

 This is the view from along the trail.  If you click on the picture to blow it up, you can see more detail.  I'm looking kind of NNW at this point - you can just see Antelope island off in the distance.

Lower Bell Canyon Reservoir.  It's only once you get to the reservoir that you can no longer see houses and cars and stuff, and you can only just hear the traffic from the road over a couple of ridges and down a bit.

Another view of the reservoir.

 Sitting at the reservoir, this is the trail from whence we came.

 The first sign of a pair of ducks, headed our way.

Same ducks.

I'm told that a pair of ducks will split up to approach the nest from two different angles.  This is as they draw closer to the bank.  If you look closely, you can see their green heads.

Here I tried to capture the beauty of the lake and the snow in the mountains.  I don't think I did it all justice.

Just below where we were sitting.

This one you have to click on to blow up so you can see the little chicks in the background.  I count five.  At the time, I figured they were more ducks (not the same ones from the earlier pix) but here they look more like geese to me.  I have no idea though - I'm definitely not a wildlife expert.

It was hard for me, to hike this far and back, but it was rewarding, and I'm looking forward to another trip to the reservoir tomorrow!

4 comments:

Eric and Kim Peckham said...

I loved seeing where you've beein going all this time! The pictures are wonderful!

Kathie said...

that looks so pretty! I think we should hike up there once we get a little backpack thing for Abbie

Cindi said...

We loved loved the pictures - I am so jealous - I didn't know there was anything so beautiful so close. Wish I could go there - need new legs:(

Nick and Whit said...

Nicely done! To me, hiking is more than physically rewarding. It sure does clear the mind. Great pictures!