Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Impulsive or Inspired?

I have a new job. I am self-employed, working from home. What I'm doing is going to remain a secret until I have something to show for it, so this is about all I can say at the moment.

I haven't posted much in the last couple of months because so much has been in the air, and it's been a new, scary experience for me. I'm not out of the woods yet, but at least I have a direction that could lead to happiness, and that's more than I've had in a long time! I hope things will turn out well for me, and that I'll be able to share details soon.

In the meantime, I'm still working on my jewelry every so often. I made a bunch of key chains in addition to the more traditional jewelry, and I've had my first few sales since I posted last! It's so much fun for me - gives me the opportunity to design and work with colors without having to get my hands too messy - a big plus! As soon as I get around to photographing all my new items, I'll post a couple of pictures for you to see. My little nephew Ammon also enjoys my beads and things - often when he comes to play he asks if he can play with my beads, which means carefully dipping his little fingers into the boxes of different beads and picking a few up to let them run back out of his fingers into the box. I think he likes the way the smallest ones feel, and the way the biggest ones look. He's a funny little thing. I offered to let him choose a bead to take home with him and he chose a little tiny black one that he put in his pocket.

I've also done a little volunteer work in the last couple of weeks, which has been enjoyable and good for me. Every eight months or so our ward Relief Society is responsible to go to a local nursing home to have a short RS meeting for any of the women in the home who want to attend. It's on Wednesday mornings at 10, and only lasts for about 45 minutes or so, so it's an easy opportunity to serve. This last week we had a man join us for Relief Society; I think he just didn't want to move or something. But most of the little ladies are so sweet and kind, and some are a little higher-functioning than others. I'm awkward with most people, and this is no different, but I still like talking to them - I just don't always know what to say to keep the conversation rolling. But they seem appreciative all the same, and one last Wednesday even told me I was pretty, so I figure it's pretty worthwhile!! My mom is in charge of our ward's turns at Alta Ridge, so she is always their when it's our turn. She's so good at working with them and getting them to smile and feel included.

We are getting a new little baby in the family soon!! I am so excited for little Abigail Rose, and I'm excited for Kathie's family. Kathie and Matt are such exceptional parents; it's a joy for me to watch them with Ammon as he grows up, and I can't wait to see how Abbie grows and learns. Kathie's due around March 5, but it can't come quick enough for me (or Kathie, I'm sure)! I wonder if she'll be the same size as Ammon when he was born, I wonder if she'll be a little blondie with those big blue eyes that Ammon has; I wonder too if she'll look like a little mini Kathie, curious and sweet and busy.

Well, one thing about working at home is that you can't ever leave work at work - it's always with me, nudging me to do a little more today, and still a little more, and why am I doing something else when I should be working?? At least I have Sundays off. I think I'll go to bed early, wake up early, and get started! (I can't leave out my ever-present disclaimer; that this last goal is likely wishful thinking....but that's okay.)

By the way, if there are any Peckham girls who read my blog and are not aware of our upcoming Movie Night on Saturday the 20th (this week), either check your Facebook events or give me or Celeste or someone over here a call. I want to make sure that everyone at least knows about it!

1 comment:

Nick and Whit said...

WOW! I admire your courage. Way to go! I'm excited to find out more.
Beautiful jewelry by the way. :)