Pages

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Here goes....

Okay - so I wrote the following a couple of weeks ago when Twilight opened in theaters, but when I realized JUST how popular it all was, I got disgusted and refused to follow through with my original plan. Then the other day Kathie asked me to go see the movie with her, and I couldn't refuse my little sister. After having seen the movie (still haven't read the books) I decided to go ahead and post the first half of what was going to be my Twilight review. I realize, however, that not everyone is likely to be on pins and needles waiting for my opinion. So I'm going to release the first half of my review, and add a poll to my blog; please read the following and then tell me if you'd like me to continue. Enjoy.

""And I give you…….TWILIGHT; an outsider’s perspective

Part 1

I have just decided that I should review the movie Twilight from my own perspective; that of a girl in her twenties who has not read nor had any desire to read any of the novels on which the movie is apparently based.

As yet, I have not seen the movie. Part 1 of this review will consist of my introduction as the critic and my opinions regarding Twilight. In trying my hand as critic, I am aware that my opinions may or may not differ from those of my readers. Please know that I am a person that has strong opinions, though I have no strong need to impose my opinions on others or to offend. That is my disclaimer. If you choose to read on and then get your feelings hurt by something I say, I sincerely ask your forgiveness in advance.

As I said, I have not read the books. When I first heard about Twilight, I thought that there was no way I would have any interest in a story including vampires. Early fans heartily encouraged me to try it, saying that it wasn’t your usual vampire story and that I would love it. This is where a little quirk in my nature makes my opinion somewhat less than perfectly objective: I am exceptionally stubborn in some ways, and especially don’t like to be told what I will or will not like.

As time passed, the book became increasingly popular. Again, my stubbornness comes into play here, due to the fact that I absolutely HATE to follow fads. When Harry Potter became particularly popular sometime around the release of the third or fourth book, I was convinced that I wouldn’t like it – it was fantasy, it was a child’s story, and it was popular. It wasn’t until Rachel declared that we should all go see the first movie as a family for her birthday that I finally gave in and read the books. I loved them from the start, and have been somewhat of a closet Harry Potter fan ever since. It’s possible that the same will happen here, but I have to confess that I will feel a little irritated with myself if I turn out to like it.

I think the only thing left to do until I can actually review the movie is to list the things I have heard about the story:

1. Edward develops in girls young and old unrealistic expectations of the men in their lives, both present and future.
2. The girl in it is a little boring, but gets to be more mature by the fourth book.
3. Edward is not like most other vampires.
4. It may have an unnecessary level of sensuality.

You can see that what I’ve heard about it isn’t much. We’ll see what the result is in Part 2………….""

4 comments:

Eric and Kim Peckham said...

I tried to vote, but you didn't have the right category! I need one that says, "can't wait for part 2." So I voted for the next most positive one. I couldn't tell if it registered, though. I need an outsider's opinion because I feel the same way you do. I loved this blog. Mom

Eric and Kim Peckham said...

Duh! I guess I don't have to sign my name....

Lar said...

I just want to say that I'm a fan of Twilight, the books and the movie, but I'm not fanatic. I can completely appreciate the opinions of those who don't like it, in fact, I'm kind of intrigued by them. I'm really interested to hear what you thought of the movie!

Sherilee said...

The list of four things you heard about Twilight are pretty much spot on. If you like stories about star-crossed lovers, like Romeo and Juliet, then you might enjoy it.
Personally, I didn't really like Edward until the fourth book where he grows up a bit. Edward is sooo perfect in Bella's eyes, that it's a little too much. It's like eating dessert with a side of dessert. Too much sweet can make you sick! They were fun books to read, and fun to be able to talk to others about. I'd like to read your opinion on the movie...I haven't see it yet.