Wilkie Collins is one of my favorite authors. There are very few books that he has written that I don't own and love. One of my favorite quotes is from the book 'Man and Wife', written by Wilkie Collins. It's an intriguing study of the marriage laws in Scotland, set in a fictional story. At one point in the story, one of the characters says to another:
"Here is a world, which a Merciful Creator has filled with lovely sights, harmonious sounds, delicious scents; and here are creatures with faculties expressly made for enjoyment of those sights, sounds and scents - to say nothing of Love, Dinner, and Sleep all thrown into the bargain. And these same creatures hate, starve, toss sleepless on their pillows, see nothing pleasant, hear nothing pleasant, smell nothing pleasant - cry bitter tears, say hard words, contract painful illnesses: wither, sink, age, die! What does it mean? And how much longer is it to go on?"
For me, this is an excellent reminder of the many things about which I have to be grateful and optimistic - I mean, dinner? sleep?? Wow - so many great things.
No comments:
Post a Comment